Thursday, January 22, 2015

Rules and Regulations

Well, I broke my writing streak. For some reason it was hard to write about gardening when the weather dumped 12 inches of snow in just a few hours. It's not like I DID anything related to the snow, unless you count making a big or of stew and a pan of cornbread "snow related."

Back to the chronicle of my work on the community garden....

I may be waiting for the final answer on how much money I'll have available for the project, but that doesn't mean I'm not working on it. I have so much to learn, not about the gardening part, but about the project part.

I've handled a large project before so it's not all new territory. Back when I worked for the state of Utah medicaid office, I handled the technical, installation, and implementation phases of putting in a new phone routing system. While the application is different, the concept is similar. I need to dot all the i's and cross all the it's as I go.

First, of course, is getting grip on any rules and regulations involved. Imagine my surprise when I was told by a city planner that the location I hope to use is zoned for "farm, ranch, or garden" of AT LEAST 5 acres.  That's 217,800 square feet.  A square plot of 5 acres would be just short of 467 feet per side.

To put that in perspective, that's about 2 (average) city blocks.

WOW!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment